- Exploring the Usage of Social Networking Service by Depression and Emotional Stability
This study aims to investigate the relationship between Facebook usage and users’ emotional status. Specifically, the research will focus on various types of communication on Facebook as the indicator of depression. Emotional stability, one of the five personality factors, will also be examined as the trait related to depression and communication.
- Expressing Emotion Using Kinetic Typography in Real Time Text-based Communication
As a more text-based communication method has become popular with the advancement of Computer-Mediated Communication (CMC), it is becoming more important to overcome the limitations of expressing emotions over text. Kinetic typography is known to convey emotions effectively, and therefore, it can be utilized for synchronous text-based communication.
In this research, we proved the usefulness of the pre-designed kinetic typography effects, and analysed those effects to see which kinetic properties evoke a varying degree of emotions. Now we are working on developing a system for using kinetic typography effects in real-time communication.
– 이준환, 김동환, 위지은, 장수연, 하세용, 전수진. “키네틱 타이포그래피를 통한 텍스트 기반 커뮤니케이션에서의 감정 전달 연구 (Evaluating .pre-defined kinetic typography effects to convey emotions).” 한국멀티미디어연구 17권 1호 (2014): 77-93.
- Exploring the Usage of Korean Consonants and Vowels for Delivering Emotion on Social Media
On Korean websites, people often use several Korean vowels or consonants solely, which is the way to express emotion. This is an exploratory study that reveals how and how much these expressions are used on social media. Data crawling technique was used as a way to examine the usage of vowels and consonants in ordinary situations. 6 ‘Facebook pages’ popular among Korean users are selected, and about 2.5 million comments are collected from posts in those pages. 10 expressions, including ‘ㅋ(K)’, ‘ㅎ(H)’, ‘ㅜ(U)’, are counted and analyzed from the collected texts of comments.
– 오종환, 장수연, 이준환. “한글 자음 및 모음 사용을 통해 드러나는
온라인에서의 정서 표현에 대한 탐색적 연구 (An Exploratory Study on Usage of Korean Consonants and Vowels for Delivering Emotion).” 한국멀티미디어연구 17권 7호 (2014). 866-878.